How to enable Dolby Atmos on Samsung TVs
- By: Ashley Saunders
- June 2022
After upgrading to a brand spanking new Samsung Smart TV, you’re unsure just exactly how to enable Dolby Atmos on Samsung TVs. Yet you know the feature is included in your new television.
Don’t worry, many Samsung TV users face this problem. Thankfully, we have the solution and it’s a simple one. We’ll show you how to enable the Dolby Atmos sound on your Samsung TV and how to disable it in the future.
So, let’s learn How to enable Dolby Atmos on Samsung TVs!
What is Dolby Atmos?
Developed by Dolby Labs, Dolby Atmos is a surround sound technology. It provides you with a sense of immersion as if the voice of a person and the sound of an object are wrapping around your whole body, creating a fully 3D experience.
As a natural and realistic sound technology, Dolby Atmos immerses you in a way that you can hear all of the images in sound. By applying this advanced technology, you can enjoy more spectacular sound both in a movie theatre and at home with your TV and soundbar.
Is Dolby Atmos supported on my Samsung TV?
Let’s start with the basics. Many users are unsure if their new Samsung TV supports Dolby Atmos. It’s simple, if your TV doesn’t have Dolby Atmos built-in, you won’t be able to enjoy Dolby Atmos content on your Samsung TV.
Any model of Samsung TV released after 2020 supports Dolby Atmos. For Samsung soundbars, any released after 2019 support Dolby Atmos. If you’re unsure, you can either look at the Samsung website or Google it.
HDMI mode is the only one that offers Dolby Atmos support
You’ll need to consider while using Dolby Atmos through a soundbar or any other audio device:
- Connect the HDMI cable from the HDMI out (TV Arc) port of the soundbar to the HDMI in (ARC/eARC) port on your TV
- If you’re using a Blu-ray player ensure you’ve selected no encoding bitstream
- Make sure secondary audio is turned off
- On your Samsung TV’s home screen ensure that auto audio is selected
- Finally, ensure that the app or content you are trying to play supports the Dolby Atmos.
How to enable Dolby Atmos on Samsung TVs
To enjoy Dolby Atmos sound on your Samsung TV, you need to configure your TV settings properly. Here are the settings you need to adjust on your Samsung TV:
- On your Samsung TV remote press the home button
- Select the settings options
- Now select the sound menu from the setting options
- Select experts settings from the list
- Now set HDMI-eARC mode to auto
- Scroll down and set digital output audio format as auto or pass through
- Now select Dolby Atmos compatibility to activate Dolby Atmos on your Samsung TV
Now try playing a show or movie through Netflix. You should see the Dolby Atmos logo on your screen. If you’re facing issues in playing Dolby Atmos on your Samsung TV, ensure Anynet + is properly configured.
How to enable Anynet+(HDMI-CEC)
If you’re having a problem playing Dolby Atmos content on your Samsung TV, you should ensure HDMI-CEC is enabled. To enable Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) follow these steps:
- Go to the home screen of your Samsung TV and select settings
- Now select the general option
- Go to external device manager
- Now select Anynet + (HDMI-CEC) to turn it on.
How to Check if Dolby Atmos is Working or Not?
If you’re unsure whether Dolby Atmos is working on your Samsung TV, there are a few things you can check.
Play Dolby Atmos content
Find some content that uses the Dolby Atmos codex, there’s plenty on Netflix, Prime and other streaming services, and watch it. Next, play an action scene or a scene where many elements are moving. You’ll be able to detect the Dolby Atmos through your sound systems.
Check for Dolby logo
Your TV will display what audio type is playing. After hitting the play button, you’ll see the Dolby Atmos logo on your screen. If not, go to the menu, check the audio settings and look for the Dolby Atmos logo.
Check your AV receiver
If you’re using an AV receiver, check the receiver’s display to ensure what audio your receiver is detecting.
Enjoy the richness of Dolby Atmos
After following the steps in this post, you’ll know how to enable Dolby Atmos on Samsung TVs. So, you can enjoy content in Dolby Atmos on your Samsung TV.