How to solve the Amazon Echo Dot blue ring of death!
Imagine this, for months your Amazon Echo Dot has worked perfectly, so much, in fact, that it’s become indispensable. Yet you wake up one day to find the Amazon Echo Dot blue ring of death, rendering the device useless!
Thankfully it’s easy to solve the Amazon Echo Dot blue ring of death and get your device working again! Here’s the steps you need to take!
Why do people call it the “blue ring of death”?
It’s a term associated with smart home tech, coined by those who dwell on the internet! Blue light signifies an error. Window XP had the blue screen of death and the Playstation 4 has a thing called the Blue Light of Death!
And so the phrase was born! On Amazon Echo devices, it refers to the solid blue ring that appears on the top of the device when the unit is processing your query, malfunctioning, or refusing to do anything.
Don’t have Amazon prime? Start your 30-day FREE trial
What causes the blue ring of death?
Unless you’ve done something stupid like spill coffee over your Amazon Echo device, then it’s like your unit is completely broken. Sadly, you’ll want to hold a funeral after ordering yourself a new one!
That said, before all hope is lost, there are a few things that can cause the solid blue ring. So it’s worth considering some of the reasons why this might happen.
- You aren’t using the power adapter that came with your Amazon Echo device
- You haven’t tried resetting the Echo device
- You could have the DND (Do Not Disturb) setting turned on
- The device is plugged into a bad power outlet
- You have no internet connection (or a dodgy one).
Try these simple troubleshooting steps
- Unplug for FIVE minutes then power up and see if that solve the problem
- Navigate to Alexa settings and make sure that “do not disturb” is turned off
- Ensure you’re using the original adapter that came with the Amazon Alexa. If not, buy a replacement one from Amazon
- If you’ve spilled liquid on your Echo device, make sure you unplug it right away. Try your best to remove any moisture and allow it to dry for a few days.
4 Steps to quickly reset your Echo device
- Press the action button for about 20 seconds
- Wait until the ring lights turn orange
- Your device has now entered into set-up mode
- Your device now automatically reboot itself before it gets reset.
Why does my Amazon Echo device randomly turn blue?
You’re not seeing things, your Amazon Echo device does turn itself on randomly. The cause is simple, background noise. As it’s always listening, it can be triggered by your TV, the radio or even a YouTube video.
However, if you notice that it’s turning and staying blue for a few minutes and then returns to normal, then your Echo device is likely to be downloading and installing an update.
Solving the Amazon Echo Dot blue ring of death!
Hopefully, this short article helps you fix your device if you experience the Echo Dot blue ring of death! Most of the time it’s a power or internet issue that’s easily solved.
Another common issue that’s easy to solve is getting your Amazon Alexa to stop beeping. That said, if our advice doesn’t work, then you’ll need a new device.
If you enjoyed reading this, you might want to learn: Is my Amazon Echo Dot waterproof or IP rated?